Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Chicken Soup for the Soul

This weekend, I felt like some comfort food, and pizza, pasta, and burgers were out of the question with my new health kick. So rather than just order a pizza or run over to Burger King, I made a pot of chicken soup. I have been occasionally cooking the white meat portion of the turkey, and have kept the bones from the turkey and stored them in the freezer. So this weekend I boiled the bones to make a broth for about an hour with some salt. After the water was flavored with the turkey, I strained the broth.

Now to make the soup, all I did was poach 2 big chicken breast, by poaching, I mean boiling. Once that was cooked pretty much I let the chicken breast cool and pulled the chicken into chunks. While the chicken cooled, I sauteed onions and celery in a bit of olive oil. When those veggies were soft I poured the broth in, and put fresh green beans, and baby carrots, when the veggies were just about done I dumped the chicken in and started bringing in the flavor, salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash, oregano, bay leaves whatever you flavor your chicken with. When the chicken was about done, I tasted my creation and adjust it. Finally I dumped some frozen corn in the soup. Yummy in my tummy!!

This sounds like a lot, but if you do multiple things while the broth is being made, then you can get this done easily.

I purposely didn't bring up measurements because they are not necessary in this situation and will just slow you down,

No comments: